Top 10 Mud-Terrain Tires
Finding the top performing mud terrain or M/T tires can often times be a little confusing with all the different choices available today. We’ve attempted to cut through all the noise and bring you our list of the 2018 Top 10 Mud-Terrain tires for your truck, jeep, sport utility vehicle or other type of 4×4.
With the plethora of different types of tires a consumer is barraged with, it is important to be able to distinguish between the different categories available in stores today.
Mud terrain tires are specifically designed to aid trucks and SUVs deal with mud and loose sand surfaces, where most normal tires would get clogged and be unable to function.
As stated above, there are several options available for the enthusiast, and we seek to provide you the list of the best Mud Terrain Tires to choose from.
Every model listed below provides excellent off-road performance, as well as more than competent on-road drivability. Our list is not only based on our own experience, but reviews and comments made by other tire owners. Please note that our list is not in any particular order. All ten tires make excellent choices.
BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2
Built tough to withstand all the abuse you want to throw its way, the BFG Mud Terrain KM2 is one of the most popular M/T tires sold today. Expect to find excellent off-road traction in all types of terrain. This tire also sports very good manners when driving on-road, with very good marks for wet and snow handling as well. Treadlife is longer than you might expect, making this tire an excellent choice.
The BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2, are solid performers that are able to provide excellent grip and handling in loose soil and and on slick rock surfaces to enable you to make the most out of your SUV or pickup truck.
- Specially designed tread compound that enables the tire to clean itself
- Sidewall design to help protect the tire from damage
- Sturdy build quality incorporating two steel belts and a nylon cap ply
- Excellent off-road performance
- Good handling on dry surfaces coupled with responsive steering
- Durable tire that will last long
- Performance on wet roads is subpar; steering responsiveness and braking are average
Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
The Trail Grappler M/T from Nitto, is another excellent mud terrain performer. Its ability to meet the challenges posed by off road driving on mud and rock surfaces whilst allowing for responsive steering and stability make them a worthy choice to include in our list of the best mud terrain tires.
Playing in the mud is a lot of fun on this Nitto Trail Grappler M/T. With a tough 3-ply construction and aggressive good looks, it’s easy to see why drivers enjoy taking their trucks or SUV’s out for a day on the trails, river beds and other areas. The tire goes through it all and keeps you in complete control. Taking this tire for a spin down the highway is a very pleasant, and quiet, experience. Overall, one of the better MT tires available.
- Sidewall design adds to life by reducing tire bruising
- Tread blocks designed to reduce noise output
- Siping to increase hydroplaning resistance
- The performance on off road trails is excellent
- Noise output is very low
- Performance on wet road conditions is average
Cooper Discoverer MTP
The Cooper Discoverer MTP has been available in the market for a few years already. And it has already gained popularity as one of the best tires you could equip your vehicle with; owing to Cooper’s often cited insistence of making durable tires that will make you go the distance.
For heavy-duty use on all types of rough terrain, the Cooper MTP has you covered. This Cooper MT model utilizes the latest engineering for superior off-road driving while maintaining more than capable on-road performance. The price is also a bit lower than many of the other top tires in class, making it a good value overall.
- Shoulders are large to enable better traction and handling
- Siping to increase traction on wet roads
- Grooves allow increased responsiveness and handling on mud
- Traction on rugged surfaces is excellent
- Durable and sturdy design
- Performance on light snow conditions is very good
- Tire becomes increasingly noisy at high speeds
Firestone Destination M/T2
The Destination M/T2 from Firestone makes the list due to its excellent performance both on and off-road.
Firestone Destination M/T2 is one of the best mud terrain tires, for its ability to tackle the various elements and provide a comfortable driving experience. Firestone has designed the tire with a tread block pattern that allows it to have a strong grip on all surfaces.
Mud and snow traction is outstanding, and this tire cleans out as well as any other model in this class. On road comfort and drivability is equally impressive. With a longer than expected tread life, this tire is a serious contender for anyone looking for new MT tires.
- More biting edges to increase traction on snowy surfaces
- Mud and debris ejectors to increase tread life
- Sidewall to protect tire from damage
- Handling and stability is excellent on all surfaces
- Driving on straight roads and highways is very comfortable
- Prone to wearing out easily
- Can become noisy over time
Cooper Discoverer STT Pro
The Cooper Discoverer STT Pro is the tiremakers latest release that has replaced the original Discoverer STT.
The Cooper Discoverer STT Pro is designed to handle the most extreme driving conditions and surfaces that the driver has to negotiate. Boasting a beautiful tread design pattern that will warrant second glances, this is a tire ideal for SUVs about to tackle rugged landscapes.
It delivers outstanding off-road traction and performance due in part to its Armor-Tek3 carcass construction, yet it delivers a smoother and more comfortable ride on the highway than many tires in this class. As other drivers have mentioned… this tire rocks.
- Tread pattern designed to reduce noise output
- Shoulder lugs incorporated to increase the traction in mud and sand
- Debris blocking design to increase the useful life of the tire
- Aggressive and aesthetically pleasing design
- Off road capabilities are excellent
- Low noise output making for a pleasant drive
- Durability is questionable
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial
The Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial is another best mud terrain tire, which offers excellent off road capabilities with the ability to power through mud and rocky terrain.
Combining aggressive off road performance with well-mannered highway capabilities is what you get with the MT Baja MTZ Radial. The tire features unique Power Ply sidewalls with a third angled ply that helps in preventing punctures, as well as giving it increased handling and pulling power. Radial construction provides a smoother the ride on the highway.
- Advanced tire construction to provide good mileage
- Lugs designed to increase traction in snow and mud
- Biting edges to increase tire protection and afford more grip
- Amazing off road capabilities
- Performance on dry roads make for a pleasant driving experience
- Performance on light snow surfaces far above average
- Tires become loud with use
Fierce Attitude MT
Although relatively unknown to some drivers, the Fierce Attitude MT delivers the type of tough off-road performance you want in a mud-terrain tire, and it does it for a lower cost than many in its class.
With the Fierce Attitude MT, Goodyear has designed a mud terrain tire that has an aggressive yet beautiful tread pattern and is able to handle mud terrain with ease, whilst not ignoring the challenges of handling and steering responsiveness needed on dry country roads.
The aggressive tread design, 3-ply sidewall and staggered shoulder blocks make it more than capable in all types of terrain, while alternating lugs and added sipes provide dependable on-road traction.
- Tread pattern that aids with traction on mud surfaces
- Rim protector to protect the rim from damage
- Shoulder blocks to increase the grip on all surfaces
- Traction on dry roads and mud surfaces is excellent
- Tire noise output is very low
- Lacks protection against debris buildup with extensive driving
Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
Pro Comp is known for their line of tough as nails off-road tires and the Xtreme MT2 is arguably one of their best. Tri-ply construction in the sidewalls deliver excellent puncture protection, while alternating scalloped shoulder lugs dig into dirt, mud and rock for enhanced traction. With its two-step tread blocks and added silica the MT2 offers increased stability and braking, this mud tire is right at home on the highway as it is off road. There’s also a 40K mile tread warranty included.
The Pro Comp Xtreme MT2 justify their price by offering a design built to enhance the performance of your SUVs and pickup trucks. Load and deliver goods and equipment over long distances on roads and on the trail where mud and rock surfaces would unleash disaster on the average tire.
- Siping to improve handling on wet roads
- Tread block designed to enable better breaking ability
- Sidewall to prevent tire damage and increase tread life
- Performance on loose soil and slick surfaces is phenomenal
- Dry road driving is comfortable
- Durable and solid build quality
- Tire noise output is an issue
Toyo Open Country M/T
The Japanese manufacturer enters the list of best mud terrain tires, with a design that seeks to synchronize the comfortable driving needs of a city driver, along with the traction and grip requirements of a driver with a knack for off-road driving.
The Toyo Open Country MT has been a popular choice with off-road enthusiasts for a few years now. It’s also a great choice in tires for those living in rural areas and needing dependable traction year round, including snow and ice. This Toyo mud tire has a three-ply sidewall and scalloped lugs for added protection and excellent traction. The tread is computer-optimized to minimize road noise and make it one of the quietest MT tires available.
- 3 Ply polyester construction to increase durability
- Tread block design that allows for better traction
- Siping to increase steering on wet surfaces
- Traction on dry road and mud surfaces is fantastic
- Tire performs well on light snow surfaces
- Tire durability is a concern, tread wear is evident with use
Milestar Patagonia M/T
For budget-minded drivers, the Milestar MT is one of the best performing lower cost tires available today. Its off-road traction is impressive in all areas, while it handles itself quite well on the street. This model is a sleeper among other MT tires and one that is a solid value as well.
The Patagonia M/T by Milestar is another tire featuring a stunning tread pattern, that doesn’t compromise its ability to perform in harsh conditions. The 3-Ply sidewall design allows the tire to survive against impact, whilst the built-in stone ejectors keep debris buildup to a minimum.
- Tread design that increases useful life
- Biting edges that provide added traction on all surfaces
- Siping to improve performance on wet roads
- Stirring good looks
- Performance on rugged and mud terrain is outstanding
- Low noise output allowing for a pleasant driving experience
- Tread wears out quickly
Why Buy Mud Terrain Tires?
The best mud terrain tires listed above have been manufactured keeping in mind the challenges and adversities faced by those who live in remote locations, and their transportation needs which require covering harsh driving conditions.
Mud terrain features loose soil and slick rocky surfaces where the average tire would burst. Especially designed mud terrain tires give a vehicle the ability to safely and confidently negate tire or vehicle damage and allow an individual to reach their destination.
Share this review