Top 10 Passenger Car All-Season Winter Tires
Top 10 All-Season Tires for Winter Driving
The unaware buyer might be confused when browsing for tires and being presented with the opportunity cost of purchasing either all-season tires or winter tires.
While driving in rough winter weather conditions on a set of dedicated snow tires is always going to provide the best performance, what if you can only have one set of tires on your vehicle all year round? A good set of all-season tires is the answer, but what are the best all-season tires for snow? Which models deliver the best traction and grip on hard-packed snow and ice?
The differences between these sets of tires is stark, all season tires are meant to last through all four season of the year, whilst winter tires are designed specifically to last the winter season, a time when roads are packed with snow and road grip and handling is of main concern.
Here’s our look at the 2018 top 10 passenger car all-season tires for snow and ice. Our list is not only based on our own experience, but reviews and comments made by other tire owners. Please note that our list is not in any particular order. All ten tires make excellent choices.
1) Michelin Defender T + H
Michelin with the Defender T +H has designed a brilliant tire that is feature rich in preparing your sedan or minivan for winter driving. Boasting a staggering 90,000 mile warranty, this alone is a good enough reason for many buyers to want to purchase this particular offering from Michelin.
The newly updated Defender T+H scores well in winter driving due in part to Michelin’s IntelliSipe Technology. It provides hundreds of added sipes which feature biting edges that deliver increased grip when traveling on wet or snow covered road surfaces. This is just one reason why Consumer Reports says that the Defender is a tire with few short comings.
- Tread Compound designed specifically to improved tread useful life
- Intellisipe technology that incorporates edges in the tread for better grip
- Tread designed to reduce vibration and noise output
- Low noise output as advertised makes for pleasant drive
- Tire are durable and last over thousands of miles
- Tire performance on wet roads is woeful
2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS06
Continental with the ExtremeContact has molded a tire that is purpose built for sports cars and sport trucks alike. A tire designed with sipes and grooves to aid on snowed out roads by providing unmatched steering and performance that have allowed it to be featured as one of the best all season tire for snow driving.
For an ultra-high performance all-season tire, the ExtremeContact DWS06 has long been considered an UHP all-season tire in the snow. Expect to find excellent traction on cold wet streets, as well as in light to moderate snow. The tire’s unique crisscross grooves and high grip silica tread compound deliver solid performance in a variety of rough weather conditions.
- Sipe technology to aid in driving on rain, snow and ice
- Patterned edges to improve traction on snow
- SportsPlus technology that improves both grip and tread wear
- Provides excellent handling and road grip
- Great cornering ability at speeds on wet roads
- Tires produce a lot of noise
- Tread wears out rapidly
3) Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus
The Italian brand with its latest offering in the all season tire category has constructed a tire with an aggressive and visually gratifying tread pattern, which also provides responsive steering whilst driving your vehicle at speed.
If you drive in milder amounts of snow and ice, the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus is a very good choice in new tires. A silica tread compound and computer optimized sipe design combine to provide consistent driving performance on wet, snow or ice covered roads. There’s also up to a 90,000 mile tread warranty included on this model.
- Silica gel based tread compound that improves fuel efficiency
- Ribbing and grooves to aid in all weather driving
- 90,000 mile tread wear warranty
- Excellent ride comfort
- Great braking ability on wet roads
- Unsatisfactory performance in snowy conditions
4) Nokian Entyre 2.0
Nokian is a pedigreed manufacturer when it comes to tires that perform well in snowy and icy roads. With the Entyre 2.0 they have created another masterpiece tire that has outstanding capabilities to keep your sedan powering through the snow and also to book its place as the best all season tire for snow driving.
Nokian’s Entyre 2.0 not only delivers reliable dry/wet traction and a comfortable ride, but it’s winter performance is what you would expect from a leader in high-performing winter tires. Nokian uses their advanced technology to provide the kind of grip in harsh winter conditions that you can depend on. Publications like Consumer Reports agrees with this as well.
- Environmentally friendly tread compound
- Reduced rolling resistance, providing better handling
- Provides great control and steering responsiveness in snowy conditions
- Pleasant driving experience, by providing a comfortable drive and reducing noise output
- Cornering ability on wet roads leaves a lot be desired.
5) Continental TrueContact
The Continental TrueContact is another tire that couples beautiful patterned treads along with excellent utility and performance enabling steering responsiveness and handling that make for an enjoyable ride.
As one of the highest rated all-season tires, the TrueContact is also one of the better AS models when it comes to winter performance. With its siped tread blocks and unique traction grooves in the tread design, you can expect to find good all-around grip on snow, slush and lighter amounts of ice.
- Ecoplus technology that improves fuel efficiency whilst providing traction
- Tread compound designed to improve useful life
- Siped tread blocks and grooves to allow for better all weather capabilities
- Tires improve fuel efficiency
- Great handling and braking ability in snowy weather
- Pleasant driving experience; low noise whilst providing a comfortable ride
- Driving performance on wet roads is unsatisfactory
6) Hankook Optimo H727
The South Korean manufacturer with its Optimo H727 has crafted a tire that is able to meet the challenging demands that snowy roads pose to coupes, sedans, and minivans. This is a sure feature as one of the best all season tires for snow driving.
As one of Hankook’s most highly rated tires, the Optimo H727 delivers excellent performance in deep snow and on icy road surfaces. A custom-blended tread compound and high-density sipes increase bite in packed snow and add more confidence when faced with driving in winter weather.
- Rubber tread compound to increase road grip
- Grooves to resist hydroplaning and improving driving on wet roads
- 100,000 mile tread warranty making for a durable tire
- Handling on snowy and icy roads is great
- Provides for a comfortable and pleasant car ride
- Handling shows significant decline in heavy snow conditions
7) Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
Another solid offering from the Italian brand in this category, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 is perfect for luxury and sports cars. This offering has impressive tremendous road grip and steering responsiveness with excellent braking and acceleration ability.
Pirelli’s Cinturato P7 All Season Plus that is not only more environmentally friendly, but its low oil and high-silica tread compound features lateral and longitudinal sipes that deliver excellent traction in light or deep snow. This new model is quickly becoming one of the best sellers among all tire models.
- Tread design that reduces noise output
- Siping, that improves performance in all weather conditions
- Four wide grooves designed to improve performance on wet roads
- Excellent handling and steering responsiveness on wet roads
- Smooth driving experience
- Cornering ability on sharp turns on dry and wet roads is impressive
- Performance on heavy snow affected roads is unsatisfactory
8) Cooper CS3 Touring
The Cooper CS3 Touring is a tire design purpose built to provide a smooth and comfortable driving experience over long distances. It is the perfect tire to equip sedans, coupes, and SUVs with, as it provides excellent traction and stability control. A worthy addition to the best all season tires for snow driving.
The CS3 Touring offers surprisingly good snow traction due in part to its 3-D micro gauge sipes and four circumferential grooves around the tread. The sipe design helps the tire grip hard packed snow and ice, as well as safely navigate slush and wet snow. With its lower price and good overall performance, the CS3 makes for a solid value in an all-season tire.
- A 5 rib pattern to allow for increased traction on snow and wet conditions
- 3D siping to that improves handling and control
- Grooves that provide hydroplaning resistance
- Quiet on most surfaces making for a pleasant drive
- Handling on dry and wet conditions is excellent
- Tire durability is an issue, wears out quickly
9) Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
The Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, as the name might suggest is designed to provide you a luxurious and pleasant driving experience in extreme weather conditions. A solid design that aims to match road grip, steering responsiveness with good cornering and breaking ability for the spirited drivers out there.
It’s no surprise that the ComforTred Touring from Goodyear delivers a comfortable ride and longer lasting treadlife, but not a lot of drivers know that its performance on snow and ice is among the best all-seasons tires on the market today. Notched tread grooves and added siping around the tread give this model excellent bite on snow and ice.
- Asymmetric tread design to provide superior traction
- Sidewalls to provide a comfortable and balanced ride
- Grooves to improve driving in wet conditions
- Grip on dry and wet roads is excellent
- Good driving results in snow and icy conditions
- Tires become considerably noisy with extended use
- Tread wears out quickly
10) General Altimax RT43
One of the key features that help the RT43 deliver excellent winter driving performance is the Anti-Slip Sipe Design Technology in the tread. We’ve driven this tire on wet snow, slush, hard-pack and even a bit of ice and found it to provide reliable traction. In addition, the ride is comfortable and treadlife is long lasting. Truly one of the best all-season tires for driving in winter weather conditions.
The General Altimax RT43, has been designed keeping in mind the needs of the buyer looking for an all season tire that will be mainly used in tough snowy conditions. The tire’s performance results in snowy weather has earned it a well-deserved spot in the best all season tires for snow driving.
- Abrasion technology that extends tread life
- Visual alignment indicators to be able to tell if the vehicle has become misaligned
- Biting edges to provide added grip
- Excellent ride comfort and low noise output
- Performance on wet and snowy roads is great
- 75,000 mile warranty
- Average performance and handling in heavy snow
Why Buy All season tires for Snow Driving?
The best all season tires for snow driving arrive purpose built with technologies and design features that allow them to function optimally on snowy surfaces. By providing traction to allow the car to remain on the road and enough acceleration and braking ability to avoid any accidents, all-season tires for snow driving can prove to be a worthy investment.
The choice in what tires you eventually equip your vehicle with is down to how frequently you would want to spend time changing your car’s tires. The hassle of changing tires before a winter season every year is reason enough for many to purchase all season tires and ride out the year.
Share this review